Thursday, November 12, 2009

Malika - Day 12 - Just Another Other Day at the Beach

Had another good night sleep. Thankfully, we reminded Stephan ( correct spelling ) to bring a jar of peanut butter so I was treated to a piece of toast with PB and jelly. After breakfast I went with a friend of Dany's to a couple different construction sites and was able to learn how they build the foundation, frame the walls, and put on a roof. Because wood is so scarce here they've done a great job of using their resources. Everything is concrete and rebar and sometimes they use wood slats to keep the concrete from falling through the cracks. It was interesting walking around with him because we finally stopped using words and would just start drawing pictures in the sand. After we had a realization that we could communicate through pictures we could communicate much easier. We made it back to the compound and had lunch which consisted of rice, beef, and some cucumbers which were a welcome sight. We all hung out after lunch and took naps, talked and Stephen and I even tried to oil a fan that bothered us while trying to watch LOST. =) at about 3:30 we all headed down to Aziz's surf camp, picked up a couple surfboards and hit the waves. Needless to say, my first try didn't go so well. I would either be too far forward on the board and it would nose dive into the water or I'd be too far back and wouldn't be able to get forward enough to ride the wave. I was finally able to ride the wave a little bit but wasn't able to stand up at all. We left Aziz's place and went to a home of a friend of Herma's named Barbara. She was extremely hospitable. She had snacks, champagne, and something else I can't remember the name of but tasted pretty good. She is German nationality but is learning French more and more. Herma and Dany were gracious enough to translate for us ( im starting to lose count of how many languages Dany speaks ) and after a while she played the piano for us too. We went back to the house and Stephan and I rode on the back of the truck because there wasn't any room in the truck since Herma and Dave walked there. Dinner was exceptional as always and afterward instead of watching LOST I got to talk with Dany one on one. We talked about the shop and his vision for the guys there. He said that he is ready to expand because he likes the opportunity for the guys there but the structure isn't ready. I told him that I'd like to help in any way I can. With the web skills and the organization skills that God has blessed me with I feel like this is a good ministry to get involved in. I'm not sure what that will look like back in the states or if I'm going to get to come back here but I know that if I keep following the Spirit's lead, He will move me in the direction I need to be going. Please pray for guidance and an open ear and heart. Time for bed so I will stop now and hope that when you go surfing that you will be more successful than I was my first time. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment